How does a VELscope work?
VELscope is a contemporary technological progression in dentistry. It not only helps to prevent tooth decay or loss but also helps to save lives by recognizing pre-cancerous lesions at an early stage.
VELscope is an easy- to- use hand held equipment, used by dentists and hygienists to detect and recognize abnormal tissues. Other than tooth decay, it aids to identify wide variety of oral ailments including:
- Pre- cancerous and Oral cancerous tissues
- Bacterial, Viral and Fungal infections
- Inflammation or Swelling in the oral cavity
- Tumors of Salivary Glands
It assesses a person’s oral well-being with in minutes, without any rinses or stains.
Initially, a VELscope emits safe but high energy blue light into the oral cavity.
- This blue light incites the tissues (called fluorophores) deep with in the layers of oral mucosal tissues.
- A healthy tissue emerges in a bright apple green, yellow or red color.
- Loss of fluorescence or appearance of darker regions in the oral cavities indicates presence of abnormal or maligned tissues.
- These color changes help the clinicians to differentiate between normal and abnormal tissues.
Benefits of a VELscope:
VELscope detects the presence of abnormal tissues underneath the surface, which are not otherwise visible to clinicians’ naked eyes.
- Detects abnormalities which may develop into oral cancer.
- It is a non-invasive, fast, painless and cost efficient procedure to detect, evaluate and monitor abnormal areas in the oral cavity.
- It offers the patients at risk, a comprehensive oral screening examination, when combined with conventional oral exams.
Make sure to get screened once in a year whether you are in a risk group or not. Risk group involves:
- Persons older than 40 years of age
- Tobacco users
- Heavy smokers
- Alcohol Consumers